Saturday, February 23, 2013

WK7: Impacts on Early Emotional Development


I chose the region of East Asia and the Pacific. I chose it because my home country, Japan, is in the area and this made me interested in what is happening in neighboring countries.

 

Children in this region have a challenge in getting clean water. The situation has been improving by installing systems that lead clean water down from mountains but 670 million people in the region do not have access to sanitation facilities and an additional 236 million people don’t have access to clean water in any form.

 

Even though UNICEF works to provide resources and support for maternal, neonatal and children’s health like immunizations, water, as well as other nutrition , sanitation and hygiene products (WASH) “(UNICEF, 2013) to improve the health of children and mothers, there are still many children who die from diarrhea and pneumonia. So many mothers also do not survive child birth because they are ill.

 

What I thought through reading the website is that we can teach what is happening to children in the different areas from where we live and involve our children in actions that help them. I think even having time to let them think how we can improve bad situations for other children will help them to think and feel empathy for others, develop problem solving skills and it might influence how they want to live in long term.

Children in this region must have worries and concerns about how they get things that are required to survive. Many of them must also experience the deaths of family members and people that are close to them. I think these experiences might have given them tremendous stress and made them desperate which would impede their abilities to be resilient against other difficulties.  
 
Reference
UNICEF. (2013). East Asia and Pacific. Retrieved on February 23, 2013, from http://www.unicef.org/eapro/activities_3584.html

3 comments:

  1. Hi I love your idea about including children from different areas to help these children going through life barriers. This is a great way to teach children to feel empathy for other children who are going through difficult times. I can relate to the stress from death of a love one I am still feeling the effect from the death of my father almost 4 years ago; we must teach children to be resilient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aya,
    I cannot begin to imagine how hard it is for these families and children who struggle for even clean water to drink. I think we have to continue to talk to our young children to help them become aware of what others do not have and what we can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ayako

    I am amazed at how so many countries struggle with the neccessary means of survival. Its good that organizations such as the UNICEF are their to represent and support the well-being of the children across the world. I am glad that I had the opportunity to learn more about this region and the development of children. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete