Saturday, March 16, 2013

WK1: Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels


 
The three organizations that appealed to me were Richmond Elementary School in Portland School District, The Doctors Luce Daycare, LLC, and Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization (IRCO). I chose the first two because I can use my Japanese and knowledge of Japanese culture to help Japanese immigrant children build and keep the Japanese portions of their identities. These schools’ mission statements did not appeal to me because they only mention they are providing opportunities to learn in both English and Japanese. But I believe that learning in Japanese is more than a language issue for Japanese immigrant children.





IRCO’s work is not limited to Japanese immigrants or families, so it appealed to me. However, I think what I can do best in this organization is becoming an interpreter. They also have clear missions such as empowering immigrant families so that they can become self-sufficient and developing partnerships with other communities, government agencies and non-profit organizations.

 

The job opportunity I would like to seek at Richmond Elementary School is a Japanese immersion teacher. They do not have a position right now but there is an opening for a Spanish immersion teacher. The skills and experience the teacher needs is the Oregon TSPC license with Early Childhood Education, elementary or other endorsement and native or near native fluency.

 

 

The job opportunity I would like to seek at The Doctors Luce Daycare is also a teacher. For that, I need experience of working at a daycare for more than a year or a degree in early childhood education. The job I would like to seek at IRCO is for professional Interpreters in IRCO’s International Language Bank section. But they are currently only looking for interpreters for Karen, Somali, Nepali, Tagalog, and Cantonese. The skills I need for this position is at least 6 months of interpreting experience for any of the listed languages, a high school diploma (though higher education is plus) and any relevant training or education (health care or language)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment